In this review we are presenting Bounty Hunter Tracker IV – an easy-to-use and very convenient metal detector for beginners. The device has a user-friendly interface, 3 modes of operation, several settings and a display with needle indicator. However, the main advantage of this metal detector is its price. At that, it is good for the money and it really detects valuable targets, not just beep all the time. You shouldn’t expect any miracles from it though.
At the beginning, I’d like to clarify one very important thing – Bounty Hunter Tracker IV is the cheapest metal detector of all the devices on the market I know.
I’m not considering Chinese metal detectors and those manufactured for kids, since they are more likely to be just toys. Bounty Hunter Tracker IV has really surprised me, because it appeared to be a real metal detector. Even though a simple one, this device will definitely do for beginners.
You can even find this device in the list of the best metal detectors, since it is quite good for its price.
So, let’s begin…
The device package set
- Bounty Hunter Tracker IV metal detector;
- 8″ concentric coil;
- A Manual;
Please note, that batteries are not included in the set and you’ll have to buy them on your own. The device uses two 9V alkaline batteries as its power supply.
Recommendation: replace standard batteries with accumulator batteries, it will allow you to save some money.
There is also an alternative package set for this metal detector. It includes a bag, headphones, pinpointer, kit. However, it is not always available on sale.
In my opinion, beginner treasure hunters won’t need it. In case the new hobby appears to be engrossing, you can get this set anytime.
- Discriminator: 2 discrimination levels;
- Display: needle indicator;
- 2 Tone Audio Discrimination;
- Audio output socket: headphone jack 1,4″;
- Power supply: 9v x 2;
- Time of operation using one battery pack: 35 hours;
- Weight: 1,35 kg;
- Search coil: 8” weather resistant coil;
The Bounty Hunter Tracker IV is a popular entry-level metal detector known for its simplicity, ease of use, and affordability. Here are some key features and information about the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV:
- Motion Detector: The Tracker IV operates on a motion all-metal mode, meaning that the searchcoil must be in motion to detect metal targets.
- Discrimination Control: It includes a discrimination control to help filter out unwanted targets, allowing users to focus on specific types of metals.
- Sensitivity Control: Users can adjust the sensitivity level of the detector based on the ground conditions and their preferences.
- Two-Tone Audio Discrimination: The Tracker IV provides a two-tone audio discrimination system, with different tones for different types of metals, aiding in target identification.
- 8-Inch Waterproof Searchcoil: The detector comes with an 8-inch waterproof searchcoil, allowing users to detect in various environments, including shallow water.
- Low Battery Indicator: It feature a low battery indicator to alert users when it’s time to replace the batteries.
- Comfortable Grip and Lightweight Design: The Tracker IV is designed to be lightweight and often includes a comfortable grip, making it suitable for extended use.
- Adjustable Shaft: The shaft is adjustable to accommodate users of different heights, providing a comfortable detecting experience.
- Simple Analog Interface: The Tracker IV typically features a simple analog interface with knobs for discrimination, sensitivity, and power settings.
|Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
|2,98 lbs (1,35 kg)
|9v x 2
|8” weather resistant coil
|Operating Frequencies (kHz)
|2 discrimination levels
|VDI (0 to 99 scale)
The metal detector has a standard package set: a coil, a control unit and a shaft. The device length can be adjusted in the range from 45 inches (114 cm) to 53 inches (135 cm). The device weight doesn’t exceed 4.2 lbs (1,2 kg) in its basic configuration.
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV is a light weighted and convenient to use metal detector and it won’t be a burden in a long journey. You surely can go treasure hunting with it and you won’t get tired.
The metal detector is equipped with a branded 8 inch waterproof search coil to search on the ground (the device is not meant for submerging).
Pay attention, the device has a coil of mono type with operating frequency 6.6 kHz.
The control unit
It has just two control handles and one tumbler switch – this is the set of control elements for Bounty Hunter Tracker IV. However, such a simplicity ensures search process convenience, so you can just turn on the device and start detecting right away.
The device control unit doesn’t have a display, there is a dial gauge to analyze your targets. This needle pointer is a simple, but a very effective way to show the user what is located under the device coil at this very moment.
Position of the needle gives information about the target metal (ferrous or non-ferrous target).
There are two potentiometers to adjust the device sensitivity and discrimination. One of the devices is responsible for the metal detector sensitivity level and it’ll help you to set proper settings for some specific search conditions.
It allows, on one hand, to make the metal detector work stable and without getting false responses. On the other hand, it ensures the highest possible detection depth of a metal object on this specific soil type.
The second control handle allows linear adjustment of the discrimination level by sequentially excluding objects with different conductivity level from the search.
By doing so you can avoid unnecessary digging. For example, you can exclude iron objects first and then aluminum foil and concentrate only on signals received from golden, silver and copper targets – these are the metals that comprise the most valuable and interesting findings.
However, discrimination function isn’t the strongest point of this metal detector and experienced treasure hunters always use ‘all metal’ mode when detecting.
The metal detector produces a tone signal when it detects a target and you are welcome to use headphones not to lose short signals from deeply located or small targets.
You can connect the headphones using the jack on the control unit panel.
Modes of operation
The metal detector has rather small set of operating characters, which makes it easily adjustable and not demanding device.
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV has 3 modes of operation: Full Discriminate, Tone and All-Metal. You can switch between the modes by means of the tumbler switch.
All Metal. This mode allows searching absolutely all metals: both ferrous and non-ferrous ones. You can switch the mode by means of three-position switch by leaving it at mid travel.
If you select All Metal option, everything that gets under the device coil will produce signals. And if you select Discrimination function, in this case you’ll receive signals only when detecting non-ferrous targets.
DISC allows ignoring metal rubbish in the automatic mode. To turn off the mode you should use the three-position switch by leaving it at left position.
To adjust the discrimination level there is a switch «DISC/NOTCH» on the control unit panel.
Put it into ‘High’ position and you’ll get maximum level of discrimination.
TONE enables to distinguish targets according to their tone signal. This is the mode for efficient search of non-ferrous targets. It has two tones: high and low.
Also, you can get broken tone signal peculiar to aluminum rubbish, which makes the treasure hunting process even more efficient. To turn on this mode use the three-position switch by leaving it at right position.
Use this mode to go coins and jewelry hunting.
The metal detector has automatic ground balance function that enables working on highly mineralized soils.
Actually, the function isn’t an automatic one, it is pre-set in the device, which makes the ground balance the same for all soil types.
The ground balance adjusts automatically to the soil type when it changes. But this function is available only in expensive metal detectors.
Decidedly, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV is worth paying attention to. It’s especially good for beginners. The device price is quite affordable and, at that, it can efficiently detect metals.
For sure, this metal detector won’t be a top pick among experienced amateurs and professional treasure hunters due to its small set of characteristics and settings.
- Affordable price
- In «DISC/NOTCH» mode the device discriminates nails and wire
- The device is perfect for ferrous metals search
- “Sensitivity” can be adjusted according to the soil type – you can decrease the sensitivity on stony soil
- The coil is water-resistant (but it’s not a waterproof one). So, it will work when there is dew or small rain. The control unit is not waterproof, but you can cover it with a plastic transparent bag.
- You’ll have to spend money to buy 2 accumulator batteries and a battery charger
- Insufficient search depth
- Minimal ability of settings adjustment